Monday, May 3, 2010

I Thought Growing Up Would Feel Different

Finals week has begun and I am sitting here realizing that this Saturday, May 8th I will be graduating.

Growing up, when I thought about being a college graduate, I thought I would be smarter or feel older. I feel neither. But I am relieved to have this chapter over. I love to learn, but it will be nice to experience life without school since it is all I have known.

Graduating is bitter-sweet. I have loved Utah State University and college life. Sometimes, when I walk on campus, I think of things that I will miss about this chapter of my life. Here they are, in no particular order:
  • Ambassadors - I have {loved} ambassadors. It really was the best part of my experience at Utah State...if only I could have been groomed to be a professional and remained an ambassador for life!
  • The preacher outside of the TSC
  • The professor who rides his unicycle around
  • Koch Scholars - 2nd best experience of USU
  • The beauty of campus. Everytime I am up on campus I get a rewarding sense of nature. It really is the most beautiful campus
  • Living in the basement of Rex & Edna (90 and 87 years old). We love them so much and will miss talking to them each day. I will not miss the 2x2 shower that constantly springs up mold, changes temperature whenever it wants, and won't let me bend down to shave my legs.
  • Learning - I LOVE TO LEARN
  • Friends - so many dear friendship made, lost, rekindled. I will never forget my "bosom" friends
  • The garage that Sam Nef and I lived in and all the memories that accompany it
  • Basketball games - can't get any better
  • Football games - could get better
  • Teaching fitness classes to students
  • Truly becoming myself and finding out who I am and what I want
  • Aggie Ice Cream - Blue mint I love you!
  • Giving Tours
  • My nose hairs freezing as I walk to class in the winter. Then my nose becoming a faucet as it thaws.
  • Getting stopped by the missionaries all the time! Do I not look like a member?
  • Becoming a TRUE AGGIE
  • BECOMING AN ULTIMATE AGGIE
  • BEING ABLE TO FINISH IT ALL OFF WITH MY BEST FRIEND AND LOVER and GET TO GRADUATE AND WALK ACROSS THE STAGE WITH HIM!
There are millions more, but I didn't want to make the list too long. Goodbye USU. You are such a large part of my life and my heart. I will miss you and will be a fan for life! As Jen Putnam says, "Utah State Makes Dreams come True!"

8 comments:

Bekah Condie said...

You're an ULTIMATE AGGIE? Sarah, how did I not know this? Utah State really is the best!

Alex and Sam said...

Sarah, I have tears in my eyes after reading this! both from laughing and feeling the same way as you! You will always be one of my bosom friends ;) Love you!

debra said...

I thought an ultimate Aggie was something illegal? Is Garrett one too! Really maybe I am wrong inwhat it means. Utah State will always hold a special place in our hearts

John and Anna said...

Good Ole Utah State! I'm with you Sarah! Love MOST things about it! :) And it really is where my dreams came true! :) Congrats you guys!

Katie said...

Congratulations Sarah!

Michelle said...

Hi Sarah!

Your blog is super cute! You lived below Rex and Edna? How lucky! I grew up in that ward and I love all those old couples so much.

Hey, I don't know if you'll still be around, but we're throwing a baby shower for JoAnna next Wednesday, the 12th. We took the easy way out and are just sending e-invites. If you can come, will you send me your email and I'll send you an invite? It would be fun to see you!

Michelle (michellesmerrill@gmail.com)

Wendi said...

Sarah.. are you sure you have to graduate? But then you are leaving right? I am so proud of you! Your college memories sounded amazing, and you can tell that you grew a lot and learned a lot. This post just makes me so happy. Have fun walkin' this Saturday!

emily said...

I'm glad you put fitness on there because that is how you made my experience @ USU the best & I'm not even a student! How do you become an ultimate aggie?