Monday, June 1, 2009

A Step Back in Time...


Sundays are the best days out here during the summer. Of course church is thrown into the mix, but the best part is that Garrett and I get to spend a whole day together! I just love Sundays.

Even though Garrett is exhausted by the time Sunday comes around, he always makes sure to take me out of the compound (the fond name I gave the Apartment complex) so that I can see a little more of Reno and a little less of four surrounding walls. I am so lucky to have a husband who endlessly puts me before himself.

This Sunday we went to Virginia City, an old historic mining town. It is about a 40 minute drive up in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. It was so beautiful to wind around the mountains and see the pretty landscape.

Virginia City is kind of like Jackson Hole, only much smaller. They profit off of the cowboy theme. Store workers are dressed as cowboys and the women as saloon girls. And there are plenty of saloons.

One of the neatest parts of Virginia City was the old cemetery, dating back to the early 1800s. It was nostalgic to walk to boarded sidewalks and watch as people passed by riding their horses.

Reno may be one the armpits of the world, but when you venture out into the surrounding scenic treasures you can really appreciate this land.
P.S. It was really bright! I couldn't look at the camera.

4 comments:

John and Anna said...

I love those old towns! Not that I've visited a ton of them in my life, but it really is fun to imagine what life use to be like when they were booming towns.

Oh... and we still miss you and Cache says hi!

Wendi said...

Wendi says hi too! Which would be me.... talking in third person.

debra said...

wow Garrett cut his hair!!! Sarah you look like you are losing weight. you don't have any to lose. Quit that!! I have never been to Virginia City. sounds fun.

Condie Family said...

Debra you are silly. I am not losing weight. I promise. I fear I am doing the exact opposite. As for Garrett's hair, I cut it myself. My first time ever. There are a couple of mess ups but oh well. It was free. His hair was just getting too long and hot!